Monday, October 16, 2006

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN by Annie Proulx

Having read Brokeback Mountain prior to seeing the movie, I found this more of a love story than anything else. The too-short story of two people who meet under certain circumstances, fall in what can only be called love, are torn apart and reconnect time and time again, could fill any gender, race or age into the blanks. Once I saw the movie, my opinion only heightened and filled with a warm, pink glow.
Beautifully-written with each word carefully thought out and positioned, Brokeback Mountain reads like a extended poem. Proulx, a recognized short-story author, moves the story along quickly and efficiently without sacrificing an ounce of eloquence. It is just simply excellent-the type of short story I strived to write in my college years, but could never find within my mind or pen. Deeply-sincere but easily grasped by anyone who has ever experience love of any kind, Brokeback Mountain moves anyone with a heart that will accept it into their reading rapport.
I struggle with saying that it is not for the close-minded, because I feel many people cant get past the fact that it follows a relationship between two stereotypical males, but it is so moving that even the narrowest of minds could be broadened to the overall tone of love and longing.
Just as the book, this review is brief, but there is not much more to say. It truly speaks for itself.
OVERALL: An all-too-brief-love story above all else. Easy read, I completed it in a night. And how do you not read a book with one of the best lines ever, "I wish I knew how to quit you."

1 comment:

The Schlosser's said...

"I wish I knew how to quit you" and "You had me from hello" will always be some of the greatest lines from love stories. Good write-up! L&L, Angie