Sunday, November 05, 2006

LITTLE EARTHQUAKES by Jennifer Weiner
By one of the best authors of "chick-lit," Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner, is more like "mommy-lit" but nonetheless relatable. Told in four separate narrations by four women - three soon-to-be mommies and one former starlet turned mourning mother - Little Earthquakes flows freely and with wit standard of Weiner's work.
The four voices - Rebecca, a chef married to a doctor with an overbearing mother-in-law; Kelly - a perfectionista with a corporate husband and Martha-Stewart inspired apartment; Ayinde, a former news anchor married to a professional athelete husband who recently committed adultery and Lia, an actress mourning the loss of her motherhood to her son's recent death.
While some may relate to an individual, I found a little bit of myself in each character.
Weiner, author of Good In Bed, In Her Shoes (a great movie by the way), Goodnight Nobody-her foray into comedic murder mystery and most recently and my cant-wait-to-read the Guy not Taken, puts herself into all of her books, which most likely is why every woman reading it can relate to each sentence in a different way. I was laughing out loud in some places and tearing up at others seeing both my self and my friends in the unbelieveable situations and reactions.
Weiner's emotionally-frank writing combined with the "everywoman" characters make for a great and comfortable read. Little Earthquakes is what happens when chick-lit grows up.
OVERALL - A fat and sassy read with a little bit of something for everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just finished the book and OMG there couldnt have been a better book for me to read right now. I identifyed with all of the charaters at some point and I found each of them very realistic. I identified most with Kelly because she wanted so desperatly for everything to appear perfect. I see myself doing that some many times. Some days I feel like I am going to fall on the floor and die, but dammit my house is going to be clean, my baby is going to look amazing in her designer clothes, and am going to try to look like a normal human being. look half bad. I am slowly learning that I need to let soething go so I can have the quality time I crave with Cat. She is only going to be a baby once, so what the hell, I might just go sneak in some bedtime cuddles instead of wiping the crums off the kitchen counter.