Sunday, November 04, 2007

Banned Books Week September 29 - October 6

Yesterday, September 29, began Banned Books Week which runs until October 6. The American Library Association's slogan for Banned Books Week is "Free people read freely." And that meant a lot to me.

On this year's list includes "And Tango Makes Three" by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell. An award-winning book featuring two male penguins who raise a baby penguin so that it may have a two parent home, has been noted as the most challenged book of 2007. Also on this years list is "Beloved" and "The Bluest Eye" by Toni Morrison, the Gossip Girl series by Cecily Von Ziegesar and "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier which I remember reading in eighth grade. Our friends JD Salinger (Catcher in the Rye), JK Rowling (the Harry Potter series) and Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn) did not join the list this year, but are notable list-makers from years past. They join the likes Ernest Hemingway, Judy Blume and Stephen King. But are these writers and authors known for being on the banned book list or for being unbelievably talented story-tellers? I think the latter.

In a day and age where anything goes on cable television, I simply cannot believe and am enraged that books are still continually banned for content and wording deemed inappropriate. Wasn't Gossip Girl just made into a television show? In the first episode, if I can recall correctly, there were two attempted date rapes. "The Chocolate War," considered unsuitable for sexual content, was required reading in my middle school honors English class as was "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Catcher in the Rye" in my high school honors and AP English class. The Harper Lee classic was under fire for use of the always-enraging N-word that was at one time, a common place word. Not to say that it was right, but it was typical in the lexicon, and society learned from its mistakes and has made effort to correct that. We know now it's not suitable for conversation but would surely still benefit from other lessons in "Mockingbird."

Religious groups and civic organizations have burned books in the name of morality and ethics since 200 B.C. The premise is always the same: to offer up that which they believe goes against their god in an effort to save and/or protect themselves and others. While banning books, and in some instances burning books, is a practice of free speech rather than censorship, who is to tell me what I can and cannot read? Simply put, if you find it offensive, turn it off. Close the book. Don't buy clothes from that manufacturer. Censor and/or edit yourself, but don't censor others.
As an avid reader, I'm often chastised for spending time with my nose in between the pages, but I truly could spend an entire day reading. Ask my friends how long it took me to read the last Harry Potter book. I'd much rather have my nose in a book than my eyes glued to the latest episode of "Deal or No Deal".

In an effort to offer up what I believe is a opportunity to enrich, engage and educate and I'm asking everyone to read a Banned Book this week. If not this week, this month; if not this month, this year. If you need one, ask me, I have a great deal of them in my personal collection or check it out from the library. Or better yet, spend some time in your local bookstore and BUY it for your home library. You'll feel empowered having something you know is controversial in your collection and you'll be offering up to the powers that what you truly believe in as well.

For more on Banned Books Week and for a list of banned books over the years, visit the American Library Associations website at www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bannedbooksweek.htm

No comments: